St. Augustine’s Church

Opening hours

10:00 - 18:00


First established by Spanish Augustinians in 1591, this church maintains the tradition of organizing one of the most popular processions through the city, the Easter Procession, with thousands of devotees. The normal religious service of this church also takes into account an especially strong participation from the local Filipino community.

St. Augustine’s Church has a simple, neoclassical front which contrasts with the elaborate decoration of the interior nave, chancel and service area. The main entrance is flanked by two pairs of Doric granite columns. All the windows on the façade are framed with simple white relief plasterwork. A triangular pediment tops the façade, displaying a niche in the middle, where a statue of the Virgin Mary is positioned. The nave is divided into three sections by two rows of archways supported on Corinthianinspired columns. The wooden ceiling over the nave is decorated with paintings mostly over the main altar area. There are small side altars and niches following up to the main altar, with some decorative details that display a baroque influence. Over the main entrance there is a choir that extends to the side walls, forming a narrow balcony, in a design similar to that of St. Dominic’s Church.

South-West Elevation